Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A day well spent..

As I have mentioned many times we are in the heart of visitors season here at the Griffin home and with that you do not get a lot of alone time or Family time.. I have never really been one for either of those always preferring to have "company" join us but with time I have learned to enjoy and relish these moments and get a little crabby and selfish in wanting more of it. That being said I love having visitors here but for those that know me well this totally throws me off my "schedule and Structure " and leaves me feeling very vulnerable and out of control. Ahh, yess Control.. I must have it or I completely shut down. I am learning to cope with it better than I have in the past but man it is hard. What makes it worse is I am beginning to see these traits in my children.. Especially Carson..I have to laugh when I see him get flustered or off his "schedule" its almost like a mini panic attack.. His eyes bug out and he takes deep, I mean really deep, long breaths. It is hysterical for me to see till I realize it is so me. Lord help that child he has no idea what life holds for him with anxiety like that. Ok.. back to my point.. last Friday was one of Mike and Jens last days here visiting and we wanted to take advantage of the day. Jon took the day off.. ( yes, I said it and you read it.. he actually took a whole day off!) We went to the gym and worked out together, which I love doing with him, to me this is very sexy.. We then met Mikey and Jen and went Hiking. We drove into town and hiked Manoa falls. I have done this hike with friends and I knew it was a good, but fast hike, but this particular day was humid, hot and muddy.. It was really slippery with thick, fresh mud..which made it fun and hard..Once we got to the falls, Mike saw a path to another trail, I had never done it and had no idea how long it was or how long it would take. Right off the bat I was out of my element. It was steep, very slippery, muddy and left me feeling unsafe. We went about half way to a beautiful Banyon tree and then realized that it was bunch of switchbacks that seemed narrow and steep.. For the girl who is afraid of heights I was so hoping someone would suggest turning around, and thank god someone did.. We headed back out and back down to the car.. From there we headed to the guys favorite bakery for Chocolate drop cookies, empanadas and doughnuts. This was painful for me as I crave sweets and well non of that is gluten free or "Clean" for that matter so I just watched and tortured myself as they devoured their treats. Once we made it home we cleaned up only to head back out. This was the first time had left the kids with a sitter since we moved. Yes, 14 mths of no dates.. well, we have had one but we are so homebodies now.. Anyways, we left the kids with Sonja, my Gf Julie's daughter and we headed back into town. We went to one of our favorite restaurants "Hula Grill" and walked around Waikiki. It was since to sit and have an adult conversation and nice meal without feeling rushed or like I had to make sure my kids were on their best behavior. I enjoyed my company and the fact that I was dressed up, had make-up on and actually did my hair. It was reminder to me that I love getting away with Jon and feeling pretty. Now I did have a moment between hiking and heading back out where my tummy hurt and I was so tired that I just wanted to stay home ( once again Homebody) but once we got out I was so happy to be out with great company. We have become such a close little family that I hate leaving this kids, even if they seem to love it, but I realized how much we need it. It is not necessary every weekend like we used to do but once a month would not be bad. Once we got home I thanked Jon for spending the day with me and let him know I looked forward to more days like that, as long as I am in control of course.

1 comment:

  1. Funny what your kids can teach you, huh? Love your posts Ang and of course love you!

    ReplyDelete