Sunday, February 5, 2012

Blessed..

We often forget how lucky we are to have healthy, happy, well adjusted.. (ok, so not everday.. but most! :) ) kids.. We are truly blessed to have kids whom are social, academic, competitive kids who are able to adapt to many new and overwhelming situations. I have mentioned before how hard the move was on J and I, and how brave our children have been, well this week the proof was given to us.. Monday there was as an all school assembly to hand out academic awards to those that achieved "exceeding" grade level grades.. To my suprise and many others (Amanda) all 3 of my children received awards.. The biggest shocker was that Carson was top dog.. followed close by T and then Logan. Carson and Tatum both recieved the "Principal's List" award meaning they were exceeding in both math and reading, and the top 3 in their class. Logan recieved a literature award and just missed the award for math, per his teacher. Math is very different here and they are further ahead then we were on the mainland, so he is playing a little catch up but it hitting his stride and really enjoying the math now.. It was so refreshing to see that my kids were doing so well and had settled into their new school. The assembly also recognized the school basketball teams for the boys and girls. They handed out 2 awards for both teams, one of hustle and the other being MVP.. When they mentioned MVP.. the crowd all chanted "Tatum" it was really neat being that she has only been their 3 months.. and then her name was announced for MVP and everyone cheered. She was surprised and a little caught of guard but loved the recognition. So all in all a great morning for our kids and proof that we haven't ruined thier lives by moving them! :) Sadly, our day took a turn for the worst.. shortly after the assemebly I recieved terrible news that Tatum's friend from home had passed away. She had been fighting cancer for almost 2 yrs and lost her battle. I knew T would not take the news well and didn't even know how to tell her. Tina and T had been friends since 1st grade.. sat on the bus together, played together and sang all the time.. T did not have the relationship with her like Taylor and Jessie but they were still really close. T loved her and considered her a close friend. I had the worst job of breaking my sweet childs heart. It was terrible.. I put it out there as delicate as I could and watched her heart slowly break as the tears ran down her face and the hysterical crying began. I felt powerless and lost. I had no idea what to do or say in that moment other than I loved her. She layed in my lap and cried for what felt like forever then asked to be alone. I gave her the space she needed and knew when she was ready she would come to us. She is so lucky to have 3 amazing BFF's.. Lauryn came over to cheer her up and T really didn't say much but her presence helped cheer T up. Then Jessie and T skyped and again a little smile came to her face..But by bedtime she was sad again. I reminded her it was ok to be sad and that she could cry or be upset whenever she wanted. I reminded her how short and unfair life can be and that we had to sieze all of our opportunities just like Tina did. Tina was a brave, strong and giving child, whom left us far to soon, but reminded us how life should be lived. I asked T what she learned from Tina, if anything.. she told me.. " to live each day just like you want to, take advantage of all the chances you are given, always have smile and to be lucky that I have family and friends who care and love me.. Lesson learned. Tina has given my child the next best gift to her friendship.. and glimpse of how to live her life to the fullest. Tina has Blessed our family and will always be in our heart and we will do our best to live each day to the fullest!

No comments:

Post a Comment