Sunday, October 28, 2012

Tsnaumi...

While having a lazy Saturday night and just sitting down to eat dinner I heard a familiar sound from the tv.. Mind you it was the Tv upstairs, but I still heard that annoying "beep.. beep..beep" I told Jon that is what I was hearing and he blew me off..then both our phones and the ipad had a USA today Breaking news of "Tsunami warning" issued for Hawaii. We both jumped on to computers and starting seeing what what going on.. We also turned the Tv on downstairs and low and behold "beep.. beep.. followed by all the info we needed.. "We had plenty of warning to evacuate if needed. The warning was issued around 6 for a 10:28 wave arrival.  The sirens started going off immediately , followed but what we always make fun of in PDX and refer to as the news "winter weather watch" where its only the newscasters on TV for hours.. Since we have only been in one other warning which was cancelled right after being issued we found the news entertaining. We had already been drinking since the beaver game had been on so we figured we would stay put and when we saw the line up of cars to get out of Ewa Beach we knew we made the right choice. It was bumper to bumper for at least 6 miles to the freeway. Tatum had gone to scholfield army base with her friend Abby's family for some Halloween festivities and that was the only thing that stressed me out. It really is probably the safest spot on the island being that it is so high up and in the middle of the island per say. She called around 9 and said that they were on their way home and it made me feel a lot better. She got home and told us all about the traffic and that all the grocery stores, gas stations and restaurants were closed. The streets just below us were on mandatory evacuation and the police were going door to door and driving around with bullhorns telling people to evacuate. The boys were very scared and had a hard time falling asleep, to them the world was ending and it sounds like a lot of people thought the same. The gas stations were packed with people filling their cars up that many stations ran out of gas. The stores were packed as well and I don't think I could find toilet paper or water if I tried. Oh the joys of small island life! I finally went to bed around 11, T had an 8:30 soccer game and had to be at the field by 7:30 which meant we had to leave by 7 or so. Honestly, I was hoping that with all the pandemonium the game would be cancelled. But nope, we played on this am! Thank you to all of you who called, text or Facebooked to check up on us. I guess this is just the beginning of all the crazy natural disasters that may or may not occur down here in the pacific. But even with all the scariness, I would not trade this life for a second! I will tell you I got a thorough science lesson on a tsunami and so not what I thought.. Seems you are always learning something new!

1 comment: